Doppler ultrasound in pregnancy: indications for use
As a rule, a woman during pregnancy,in addition to standard ultrasound, prescribe dopplerometry. Doppler ultrasound in pregnancy is an additional kind of ultrasound that examines the blood flow in the fetus, as well as in the placenta and the mother. A similar study is conducted to determine the condition of the fetus, the level of nutrients that it receives. This type of research is prescribed when the doctor sees this as a necessity. Often this happens when there are certain indications. So, doppler during pregnancy will be assigned unequivocally, if:
- If the size of the fetus does not match the period of pregnancy.
- If the pathology of the placenta development is traced, as well as too much amniotic fluid, etc.
- If a woman has diabetes, anemia or kidney disease.
- Multiple pregnancy or pregnancy, where the Rh factor of the mother and child do not coincide.
- Gestosis (various complications during pregnancy)
- The presence of pathologies during the course of previous pregnancies.
Like traditional ultrasound, a doppler ultrasound in pregnancy is prescribed for certain periods of gestation.
The first study is scheduled for approximately 5-6week of pregnancy, when blood circulation in the uterus increases. In this case, the blood flow in her arteries is measured, which allows to draw a conclusion about the level of development of the fetus and its timing.
Results of doppler in pregnancy at 18-20week help doctors diagnose possible development of cardiac pathologies. The last study is scheduled for approximately 28-29 weeks. It allows to determine the general level of development and condition of the fetus, as well as possible anemia and the level of development of pregnancy.
Doppler ultrasound in pregnancy makes it possibleThe doctor who is treating the doctor should trace the circulation in all the vessels of the umbilical cord, the arteries of the brain and the uterus. The study is important precisely during the bearing of the baby, since during this period there is the possibility of developing blood stasis or thrombosis of the vessels.
Blood flow indicators are the most important criteriondetermination of the fetus as a whole. If by research certain pathologies or deviations from the norm of development are determined, the further course of pregnancy should be carried out permanently. Some possibilities of Doppler, which are not available in traditional ultrasound, allow a more detailed study of the fetus.
There are four main types of ultrasound doppler:
- Portable type of diagnostic research is the most complete method, allowing to fully investigate the blood flow.
- Double research using the Doppler method (the most common type) is conducted on the basis of traditional ultrasound.
- Color dopplerhophy, the result of which is a color image, on which blood vessels are visible. This study is focused on determining the rate of circulation.
- The last kind of Doppler is using the method of hypersensitivity to detect blood flow. This method is not as widely used as the previous ones.
As a rule, to obtain the most accurate and complete results of the examination, doctors prescribe combinations of Doppler species.
In conclusion, we note that the US dopplerpregnancy requires certain conditions. So, two weeks before the procedure, you should stop smoking and eating those foods that contain nicotine. Immediately before the study, you need to remove all ornaments and lie on your back or left side. Doppler duration varies from a few minutes to half an hour. It all depends on the level of difficulty in the course of pregnancy and is controlled by a specialist.