Flu vaccine in the 2018-2019 year
Annual vaccination is an important and necessary stage in the systemic struggle against the flu epidemic. For each season a specific program is developed. It takes into account the activity of strains in previous years and the emergence of new versions of the causative agent of the disease. Therefore, the calendar for 2018 - 2019 and recommended preparations may differ slightly from those used previously. Check out the updated version of the vaccination schedule developed by the Ministry of Health for the people of Russia for the next autumn-winter period.
Successful struggle with various diseases became possible after the appearance of the very principle of vaccination. Influenza is a rather dangerous respiratory disease of viral etiology. The reasons for this characteristic are as follows:
- high contagiousness: when exposed to patients, the risk of infection is very high, even the minimum time spent in the same room (transport) can lead to negative consequences;
- constant mutation: new versions of pathogenic microorganisms appear regularly;
- acute course: in addition to high fever, the disease is dangerous with systemic complications, without specific treatment there is a risk of death;
- nature of the spread: the number of infected and post-illness varies every year, but their number is so large that it is estimated as a pandemic or an epidemic.
Knowing these facts, everyone should think about whether he and his family need the flu vaccine 2018 - 2019. In the Russian Federation, the principles of vaccination are as follows:
- voluntary decision: no one can make children vaccinated against the potential to become ill;
- free procedure: carried out at the place of registration or work;
- on a paid basis: in the pharmacy you can buy the drug that you consider the most effective.
That is, everyone has the opportunity to choose both the vaccine itself and the time and method of its implementation. There will be no negative consequences (except for the risk of getting sick and infecting your loved ones).
Pros and cons
Flu vaccine in 2019 is an absolutely voluntary event. His supporters are those who trust with confidence in the statistics and recommendations of doctors in this matter.As observations show, vaccinated people rarely get sick, and if this happens, the disease is more easily tolerated and without complications.
Opponents say mainly about two reasons for their reluctance:
- the vaccine does not protect against all, especially from new strains;
- afraid of complications from the procedure itself.
Indeed, it is hardly possible to require that the available drugs protect against a pathogen that has not yet appeared. But vaccinations are not in vain - they activate the protective functions of the body, making it more resistant to the influence of the virus. As for complications, you should always understand the causes and time of their occurrence. For the emergence of strong immunity takes time, therefore, during this period there is a risk of infection. That is why it is better to adhere to the calendar developed by doctors. There is also a risk of complications in cases of:
- individual intolerance to the components of the selected drug;
- susceptibility to allergies;
- the presence of general contraindications: the emergence of acute or chronic diseases in the acute stage, a recently transferred viral infection.
But if you consult a doctor before the procedure and (if necessary) undergo a minimal examination, for example, an allergy test for a specific type of medication, then the risk of complications is minimized and virtually absent.
Types of drugs
At this time there are several recommended for preventive administration of drugs that can either completely eliminate the infection, or significantly facilitate its course (on the principle of mild form of acute respiratory infections or SARS).
There are several options for the classification of recommended and proven drugs. In composition:
- live vaccines;
- split inactivated;
- whole-virion inactivated.
Effects on strains:
- trivalent - protect against three types of virus (two A and one B);
- tetravalent - respectively protect against two types A and two B.
From 2018, the first Russian-produced four-valent vaccine will appear on the market. This will expand the list of recommended preventive agents and help protect people from more strains at the same time.
Flu vaccine in 2018 - 2019 can be given during the so-called vaccination period. This time from September 4 to October 29, the current 2018. This schedule is not chosen by chance. As practice and data analysis in recent years shows, the peak of morbidity falls in winter, especially in January and February. To achieve a strong immunity and eliminate the risk of disease, a specially selected time in early autumn. It is considered the most favorable and allows you to provide protection for the entire period of winter activity of the influenza virus.
The schedule of the procedure and the dosage depends on the age:
- babies from six months to a year may not be vaccinated; if the baby is breastfed, antibodies with the mother’s milk will be ingested;
- from half a year to 5 years, two reduced doses are used, which are administered at intervals of at least one month (the minimum break is 4 weeks);
- one-time vaccination with a standard dose is offered between the ages of 5 and up to 65 years;
- Older people are advised to administer the increased dose one time.
When choosing the time of vaccination, it should be borne in mind that the effect of last year's drugs usually ends in July (provided that they were introduced during the recommended period of anti-influenza prophylaxis).
In order for a vaccination campaign to be successful and effective, a list of means is usually compiled, taking into account the activity of certain strains in previous years. Recommended flu vaccines for the season 2018 - 2019:
- Sovigripp: a new tool, which introduced a new strain, known as "Michigan". It has special age restrictions: from 18 years old, it is administered intramuscularly;
- Influvac: it is allowed to use young children at a dose of 0.25 milliliter (for the first use - two times the standard schedule with a break), adult dosage - 0.5;
- Grippol: available with and without preservatives. 0.5 milliliters of serum is administered (children - in two doses under the scheme of half the dose). The market also has an analogue of the drug - Grippol Plus, which can be used.
Important: in the pharmaceutical market there is an alternative option - nasal anti-influenza spray. In different countries and sources, diametrically opposed opinions and expert opinions on their effectiveness are cited. Therefore, when choosing such a method of protection, you should consult with an experienced specialist in advance in order to be able to make an informed decision on its application.