Heat guns on waste oil: analysis of species + instructions for making their own hands
A quick and simple method of increasing the temperature in a room is various types of large heating units, which include heat guns on waste oil.
Such devices, which allow to heat even large spaces in a short time, are especially often used for heating workshops, garages, auto centers, other office and industrial premises where a large amount of mining is accumulated.
The general principle of the guns
The designation “heat guns” means mobile heatgenerators capable of quickly carrying out large heat returns.
Such devices received this name both for a specific oblong shape, and for a powerful jet of heated air coming out of a specially designed opening.
The principle of operation of various types of such devices is as follows:
- The main component of such devices is the heating component (heater, burner). It is placed in a metal case. The device begins to generate heat only after it is turned on or ignited.
- A powerful built-in fan drives air through the interior, the temperature of which rises upon contact with the heating component.
- Hot air mass is forcefully pushed through the nozzle of the gun to the outside, so that in a few minutes you can even warm up a large room.
Various fuels can be used as fuel for cannons: electricity, hot water, diesel fuel, liquefied gas, spent mineral and biological oils. Depending on the fuel used, the designs of the models may differ somewhat from each other.
Main characteristics of the device
For high-quality models of heat guns are characterized by the following characteristics:
- durability and reliability in operation;
- resistance to mechanical damage, temperature shocks, the appearance of corrosion;
- water resistance, due to which similar heaters can be used for heating of spaces with high air humidity;
- durability - with proper operation, the devices can serve for 5-10 and even more years without requiring special maintenance and repairs;
- large model range; Manufacturers produce both small mobile heat guns used for domestic purposes, as well as large stationary devices that are advisable to be used for heating large spaces, for example, production workshops or warehouses.
It should be remembered that heat guns must be used in ventilated rooms with an air supply system or with the possibility of regular ventilation.
Required power rating
The main indicator of the device is its power, since it depends on it the effective functioning of the device.
To determine the required heat transfer of the device, it is important to consider simultaneously a number of indicators:
- Volume of heated spaceto calculate which it is enough to multiply its parameters (height, width, length).
- The difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures.
- Heat loss coefficient, the value of which depends on the thermal insulation of the room. The average value of this indicator is 1-2, whereas a non-insulated building has a factor of 3-4, and a well-insulated house is 0.6.
The minimum value of the required power, denoted in kilocalories per hour, can be obtained by multiplying the above values.
To convert a certain number to kilowatts, it is enough to multiply the number by a factor of 0.001163. This value is required to be borne in mind when choosing a finished device in the store.
Features of heat guns for testing
The design of the units operating on waste oils, in general, is similar to other types of guns. Their feature is a burner with an equipped bowl of combustion, to which fuel (engine or other oil) is supplied with a rotary pump.
Under the influence of heat, combustible substances are burned, and heat and combustion products are released, which are discharged outside the room through a specially designed chimney for this purpose.
Different models may have their own design features. One has two fans, one of which heats the combustion compartment, the other supplies fresh air to the chamber. In others, an external oil pump is used, with the help of which the fuel enters the combustion chamber.
Oil cannons are considered safe for humans and pets. They can be used for heating garages, warehouses, greenhouses and other premises. Permits for their use are not required, however, in their application it is necessary to follow the rules of fire safety.
Types of waste oil units
Similar to gas and diesel guns, devices working on mining can be of two main types: direct and indirect action.
In models of the first type (direct heating) inside the cylinder case there is a round gas burner, which is blown from all sides by an air stream flowing from the fan. The heated air mass together with the combustion products is discharged through a pipe located on the opposite side of the gun.
Since gaseous wastes contain substances harmful to human and animal health, guns are recommended to be used only in well-ventilated spaces. Direct heating devices can be used to maintain a comfortable temperature in deserted areas: buildings, garages, workshops.
The designs of heat guns of the second type (indirect heating) equipped with an integrated system that allows to separate the flue gases emitted during the burning of oil. At the same time, the heat from them is transferred to the air blown by the fan, which accumulates in the heat exchanger provided for this purpose, which allows to avoid direct contact between the gas and the air masses.
After heating, the latter leave the heat exchange chamber through a special opening equipped in the housing, while the combustion products leave the gun through the side nozzle, which is connected to the chimney pipe.
Models of indirect heating are environmentally friendly, when they are used in the room does not get harmful gases, and no odors, making such devices suitable for space heating in the presence of people.
All heat guns for testing can also be divided into the following categories:
- Stationary- high power devices that are installed in one place and connected to the chimney.
- Mobile- compact devices that can be moved around the room. As a rule, they have direct heating and low power, because devices with large-scale heat transfer emit many products of combustion.
Devices operating on used oils vary in size, shape, design, and the presence of additional functions.
Advantages and disadvantages of guns for mining
Oil heaters have their positive and negative sides. Guns of this type have many advantages.
Theyuniversal: thermal units can work not only on mineral oils (thermal, motor), but also on other types of fuel, for example, on biological oil or a mixture of combustible substances. It is not allowed to use only transformer and other oils whose density exceeds 90 on the SAE scale.
Theycheap: spent mineral or biological oil, which is used as fuel for such models of heat heaters, is not subject to recovery and is a waste product. It can be purchased at minimal cost.
Devices havehigh efficiency. The efficiency of modern models of thermal devices can reach 100%.
When using models of indirect heating the device does not emit unpleasant odors, soot and soot, so the air in the room always remains clean.
But during the combustion of fuel in the devices carbon dioxide is emitted, the amount of which depends on the power of the device. Due to high CO content2in the exhausts, guns with high heat transfer rate should preferably be “tied” to chimneys through which the combustion products are removed, therefore high-powered models for testing are almost always stationary.
The gun to work out their own hands
The design of the heat gun is quite simple, therefore, with certain skills, you can try to assemble a similar unit yourself.
Homemade heater device
To perform the device yourself, you can use a simplified heat gun scheme. In the lower part of the structure there is a fuel tank, above which there is a fan and a working chamber. The latter is supplied with fuel while the fan is pumping hot air into the room.
In addition, the device provides a pump, a filter and a connecting tube through which the fuel passes, a nozzle for the exit of combustion products, a pipe for heated air and a number of other elements.
Necessary parts and materials
Before starting work, stock up with materials or ready-made parts of the device.
Heat gun bodyFor which it is necessary to use a thick-walled metal. As this part, for example, suitable for the size of the pipe or other suitable product. You can also make the case of a sheet of thick stainless steel (3-4 mm), making a seam.
The combustion chamber. Under this item fit a metal cylinder, the diameter of which is half the size of that of the case.
Fuel tank. This element is a bowl made of a material with low thermal conductivity. An ordinary metal tank, carefully covered with a heat insulator, will also fit.
Fan. To ensure simplicity and reliability of the design, it is preferable to use a reliable and economical 220-volt wing fan, which is distinguished by its simple use and durability.
Installation of the device for testing
First of all, you should take the pipe, balloon or other outer shell of the device.
- The heater and fuel tank are located at the bottom, which must be separated from the top of the device at a distance of 15 cm. To make this part of the device more accurate, it can be hidden in a metal box.
- A combustion chamber is installed in the center of the free space, for which a galvanized pipe can be used. From two sides the compartment is sealed, after which holes are made in it for the nozzle and the chimney. The combustion chamber is firmly fixed to the walls of the housing. It is desirable to equip the working compartment with piezo-ignition, and also to connect a fan to it.
- Next, you need to install a fuel pump with a nozzle, adding a filter between these parts. It is also important to organize a tailpipe from the tank through which the testing will go to the fuel filter and the nozzle.
- It is also necessary to resolve the issue of the power source of the fan. If there is a grid within reach, this item can be plugged into a wall outlet. In its absence, you will have to use the battery.
In the end it is necessary to cover the holes located at the top of the netting.
Tips for using heat guns
Experts recommend to pay attention to the following points in the production of heating devices:
- When operating the device, you should observe safety rules: remember that at a distance of 1 meter from the device the temperature of a stream of heated air can reach 300aboutFROM.
- For warming up the area of 600 square meters, just 10 liters of fuel is enough.
- To clean the evaporating bowl, removing slag from mining, it is necessary once after 20-50-hour operation of the device.
- Do not allow water to get into the fuel cell along with used oil or another type of fuel.If a large amount of this liquid enters the tank, the burner may go out.
You should also not forget about the rules of fire safety: it is better not to leave improvised thermal devices unattended, and also to have a fire extinguisher or other device for extinguishing a fire within reach.
Manufacturers of heat guns to work
On sale you can find ready-made models of devices, which work is carried out on waste oil. They are distinguished from home-made devices by their aesthetic appearance, high efficiency, energy consumption, and high technical characteristics.
Modern models are equipped with electric ignition and automatic equipment, thanks to which it is possible to regulate the flow of fuel, urgently switch off the device in emergency situations, set different thermal conditions, adapt the unit to work on different types of fuel.
Devices that work on waste oils are manufactured by firms that are deployed in Europe, the USA, and Asia. We name only a few reputable manufacturers and their top models.
Kroll: true German quality
Well-known company, founded more than 30 years ago,It is considered one of the world leaders in the field of heating equipment (burners, dryers, heat guns, generators).
Products of this brand, having all the necessary Russian and European quality certificates, are distinguished by safety, efficiency, reliability in operation, and also have an attractive design.
Master: a company with half a century of experience
The famous American manufacturer, which is one of the leaders in sales of heating equipment, especially heat generators. Technical parameters of the proposed devices demonstrate record-breaking indicators in the industry, at the same time, almost all the options are compact and mobile.
The MASTER WA line unites a series of economical devices capable of working on virtually any type of spent fuel: motor and biological oils, hydraulic fluid.The power of the models included in the series varies from 19 to 59 kW, so you can easily choose a device for heating a certain area.
EnergyLogic: waste oil heaters
The American company, which has 30 years of experience and dozens of patented innovations, pays special attention to the production of boilers, burners, heaters and other equipment operating on waste oil.
Products are mainly made of stainless steel, characterized by resistance to corrosion and excellent ability to withstand high temperatures. It uses standard parts, widely present on the market, which facilitates operation, simplifies installation and maintenance.
Hiton: low cost devices
Polish company, which was founded in 2002.
The company specializes in the production of ecofuel heaters, including heat generators and heat guns, working on used engine oil.
Heaters of this brand of the drop type HP-115, HP-125, HP-145, HP-145R can function on spent mineral oils, on diesel fuel or on a mixture of these two types of combustible, as well as vegetable oils.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
In the video below, you can get acquainted with the detailed instructions on how to independently create a heat gun, working on mining.
A heat gun made by hand or purchased at a store during testing will significantly save money on the energy source when using essentially a waste product — used engine oil.
When operating the unit, it should be remembered that it can become a source of fire, therefore it is advisable to comply with all fire safety regulations and not leave the device unattended.