How do I remove the rear shock absorber?
Watch the video
Motorists know that shock absorbers are used toReducing impacts and vibrations of the body of the car while driving, thus ensuring the comfort of passengers. In addition, shock absorbers increase safety, contributing to the constant adhesion of tires to the road. Despite the fact that the front shock absorbers perform more functions and fail more often, knowledge of how to remove the rear shock absorber is also useful in the operation of the car.
When to replace shock absorbers
Before changing the rear shock absorbers, you should make sure that they are faulty. Replacement of the shock absorber is necessary in the following cases:
- leaking oil;
- corrosion damage to the springs or piston rod of the shock absorber;
- visible deformation of the shock absorber body.
How to remove the rear shock absorber yourself
On some models of cars preliminary it is necessary to remove a decorative upholstery of interior in places of fastening of the shock-absorber to a body.
- Then, the rubber covers from the shock absorber cups are dismantled and the fastening nuts are loosened.
- Removal of the rear shock absorber is carried out on the inspection pit, overpass or with the jack lifted by the rear axle. At the time of removal, the spring of the shock absorber must be compressed.
- To remove the shock absorber and the bush, you need to unscrew the bolts securing the lower part of the shock absorber to the bridge or the suspension arm.
- If the fasteners are fastened for the period of operation, they are treated with WD-40 for ease of removal.
After the replacement you need to know how to pump out the shock absorbers and how to pump the rear posts for their proper functioning.