How to drink Calvados?
Calvados is a strong alcoholic drink withtaste of apples and fortress 40-44%, in other words - it's apple vodka. Prepare it from spirits on apples, and stand like cognac, in oak barrels. The homeland of the drink was Normandy.
For many years nobody knew about calvados, he seemed towas in the shade of popular cognac and brandy. The soldiers began actively to use calvados during the Second World War. And his current popularity of calvados is due to EMRemark, who so often mentioned this drink in his books. In his works he calls him "a drink of dreams," a "drink of meetings and partings." Rereading his novels, I want to try this vodka.
How to drink Calvados, everyone decides for himself, but more oftenall of it is drunk in the environment of close people after dinner or dinner, in order to fully appreciate the taste. But still the connoisseurs of this vodka noticed that a stack of calvados before meals or during it improves appetite, respectively, contributes to better digestion. Such properties give the calvados malic acid. If your menu contains many dishes, then Calvados is also drunk during a break between meals.
That is why in our time no one correctly answers the question of how to drink Calvados correctly. Often it is served as an operative, they drink it clean with ice, and, of course, they are used in cocktails.
It is worth noting that specific rules, likewhen drinking this vodka is not, you can only recommend this or that use. I will add that calvados is the best digestive (from the Latin digestivus, digestif is a digestive aid).
Usually calvados is drunk from glasses for cognac, soAlso, glasses for white wine are used, and other types of glasses are possible. Give the vodka not chilled, at about room temperature. Miraculously combined with coffee, milk chocolate and with different fruits. Before you drink Calvados, a glass of vodka for a few minutes is warmed by the palms in order to feel the apple aftertaste.
Calvados is easy to prepare at home. Home calvados is 100% high quality. The production of calvados is a rather complicated and long process, it implies a prolonged aging of alcohols (from 3 years), which is why we prepare it at home in a simplified way.
We need apples of different varieties, yeast (it is better to use natural ones), oak shavings. Squeeze the juice from the apples, add the yeast, then put it to ferment in a cold place. After 3 days you need to beat the juice twice. After that, we pour on bottles, adding some oak chips to them. We plug the cork, which should be natural. After a few months of aging, we get a drink with a strength of 38 to 50%
There are also recipes for vodka from other fruits, but, it is clear that this is not Calvados.
It is better to try to prepare cocktails with calvados. Here are some recipes:
- "New York apple", this cocktail will be an ornament of any your holiday. We need 40 ml of calvados, 20 ml of vermouth rosso, ice, the ingredients are simply mixed in a shaker.
- "Apple of Newton." We take 40 ml of Calvados, 10 ml of liquor curas Triple Sek, ice. We mix everything in a shaker, then strain it. Serve in a glass of cocktails.
- "A pleasant adventure." Here, too, everything is simple. You only need to mix in the shaker 40 ml Calvados, 20 ml of gin and 20 ml of grapefruit juice and you can enjoy the aroma.
- "Normandy". 30 ml Calvados, 20 ml of orange juice, 10 ml of sugar syrup simply shake in the shaker, add ice and pour into a glass, the edges of which are sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- "Star cocktail" is the nail of the program! Be sure to serve with olive. Mix 40 ml of calvados in a shaker, 20 ml of vermouth dry. Pour the mixture into the cocktail glass, throw the ice cubes and put the olive on the skewer. You just try!