How to flash a navigator?
Watch the video
GPS-navigators as well as most othermodern technical devices, operate under special software - the operating system. The most popular software for navigators are operating systems Windows CE and Android. The firmware can be executed both from the navigator and from the computer, using a USB cable. Next, we'll show you how to flash a navigator using both update methods.
The most popular brands of GPS-navigators inRussia are Garmin, Prestigio, Texet, Explay and LEXAND. Regardless of the model used, you will need to do the following before proceeding with the firmware update:
- Fully charge the battery packnavigator before the firmware, or even better, leave the navigator connected to the power supply at the time of the firmware. If the navigator disconnects during a flashing, it can lead to irreversible damage to the device.
- Download the latest firmware foryour brand and your model. Attention! We recommend that you do not use third-party firmware. In addition to losing the warranty, their use can lead to serious damage.
- Just in case, make a backup of the device data to the computer.
Firmware via computer
For the firmware you will need a driver for yournavigator to your computer, and also find usb-cable with a micro-USB connector on one side. As a rule, both the driver and the cable are bundled with the navigator. If you do not have them, then the driver can be downloaded from the official website of the manufacturer, and the cable is purchased at any computer store.
Follow the steps below to perform the firmware:
- Install the driver for your navigator on the computer.
- Format the memory of the navigator.
- Switch off the appliance. The Navigator should not be connected to a computer.
- Open the folder with the firmware on your computer and run the executable.
- Hold down the power button and after the screen lights, connect the USB cable to the navigator.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Wait until the download is complete.
- Disconnect the cable from the device and turn on the device.
Firmware from the device itself
In this case, you only need an SD card of sufficient size to load the firmware onto it.
- Pull the SD card out of the device and connect it to the computer.
- Transfer the desired data from the card to the computer, and then format it.
- The FAT system must be selected as the file system.
- Download the firmware to the memory card.
- Insert the card with the firmware into the navigator and reboot the device.
- For some models, no additionalNo action is required - the update installation process will start automatically. For others, you will have to pinch a specific key combination, depending on the model you are using and the brand of the navigator. More details about this are written in the manual of your model.
- Until the update is installed, you must not reboot or shut down the device.
Very often, after changing the firmware usersGPS-navigators face the problem of incorrect screen calibration. For each model, the calibration process may be slightly different. The main two ways to start screen calibration:
- Hold for about 30 seconds the top left cornernavigator, after which the calibration menu should appear. You will see a white screen with a cross. You will need to hit the stylus exactly in the center of the cross several times until the screen is calibrated. The new settings take about 20 seconds.
- At the same time, hold the power button to the right until it locks and hold your finger in the middle of the screen until the calibration menu appears. Then you need to act as described above.