How to remove the connecting rods from a bicycle without a stripper - useful advice
The question is how to remove the connecting rods from the bike withoutpuller occurs in situations where it is necessary to dismantle the specified part for replacement and maintenance. To remove the nodal element in a professional environment, specialized pullers are used. However, if you want, you can do without it. Let's figure out how to remove the bicycle rods, not using a puller.
What are the connecting rods?
A connecting rod is a part that one of thethe most significant loads during the movement. There are blocks of front stars that are connected to the connecting rod motionless. In this case, if there is a breakdown, you have to replace both connecting rods. On bikes of the top price category, the stars can be changed, disconnecting from the connecting rod as they wear out.
Questions regarding how to remove connecting rods withbicycle without a stripper, begin to disturb the owners of bikes in the event of damage to these parts. To remove the element it is necessary to get free access to the carriage when it is adjusted.
Types of connecting rods
Before you figure out how to remove the connecting rods without a stripper, you need to consider their varieties and the way they are connected to the rest of the parts:
- One-component - are presented in the form of monolithicDesign, where the left and right elements are fixedly fixed to the axis. The advantage of this solution is high reliability, ease of maintenance and low weight due to lack of fasteners.
- Two-component - the axle, the right connecting rod and the driving star are connected in a single structure. The left connecting rod is attached to the system by fitting onto the nut.
- Three-part - the most common option. Presented as a separate axis, as well as the right and left connecting rod, connected with an asterisk.
Materials of manufacture
During the movement on the connecting rodsthe highest load. Therefore, as a material for their production, solid steel is most often used. Recently, products made of aluminum alloys are in high demand. Most often, these solutions are used when completing sports bicycles, where a reduction in overall weight plays a decisive role.
Types of fasteners
To understand how to remove the connecting rods from the bike withoutpuller, it is important to understand the types of fasteners that are used to connect parts with stars. Modern products can be installed using nuts, slots or fasteners, made in the form of specific squares. Today, a rotary connection method is also available.
In what situations may the demolition of the connecting rod be required?
The connecting rod is a fairly simple detail,which does not need special maintenance and care. Component replacement is most often performed due to mechanical damage. The need for removal can also arise when it is necessary to gain easy access to the carriage, adjust or rinse the system.
Often after driving in rainy weather in the areacarriages there are unpleasant creaks, which are caused by the ingress of sand and dirt into the nodal mechanism. In this case, it may be necessary to remove the connecting rod to clean the seat.
In general, the connecting rod itself is not dismantled. To do this, resort to the use of a special puller or the use of improvised methods, which will be discussed further.
We remove the connecting rods from the bicycle without a puller
In cases where the cyclist does not have access tospecialized tool, there are relatively few options for implementing the task. To remove the connecting rods from the bicycle without a stripper, you can resort to the following solutions:
- Try to dismantle the connecting rod by force. Of course, in the case of a sledgehammer, there is a high probability of irreparable damage to the bearings and the carriage. Although the idea can bring the desired results, it is possible, because of your own laziness, you will have to resort to additional expenses for the repair of other parts.
- The second option involves abundant processingconnections with lubricants and then unscrewing the bolts. With the fasteners loose, it's enough to drive a few hundred meters on the bike, putting the maximum pressure on the connecting rods.
- The next solution, which will allow us to understand,how to remove the connecting rods from the bicycle without a stripper, involves the use of a Bulgarian. With the help of the tool, a neat nail on the bushing is made. Then, with a hammer and breakdown, the part is finally dismantled. The main drawback of the method is the need to replace the old connecting rod.
Fitting the connecting rod
After dismantling the parts and performing allplanned manipulations it is necessary to return the constructive element to its original place. Before carrying out the work, it is desirable to clean all surfaces and joints, and then perform their treatment with a thick lubricant. Such an approach will allow to install the connecting rod evenly and make it much easier to work with the need for its next dismantling.
During installation, you must perform a deeplanding the parts on the shaft. This will avoid the appearance of play in the course of movement. If the connecting rod is not tight enough, the socket will gradually become unusable. To securely fasten the workpiece, a force of about 50-70 Nm is sufficient.