Odigitrievsky Cathedral: historical essay, description, schedule of services
Odigitrievsky Cathedral, which is located in the cityUlan-Ude is an amazing monument of Russian baroque, which recently turned 246 years old. To date, it has retained its original appearance, despite the fact that it is located in a rather dangerous seismic zone.
In 1700, a little further from the place where todayis Odigitrievsky Cathedral, was built a small one-story Bogoroditsa-Vladimir Church (such were usually at the cemeteries) and a separate bell tower from the building. It has not survived to this day, and its existence is reminiscent of two commemorative crosses.
Construction work on the construction of the OdigitrievskyThe cathedral, which was to become the first stone building in Buryatia, began in 1741 and lasted about 44 years. The local and visiting merchants financed this business. In 1770, when the structure was completed, the bishops of Nerchinsk, Safroniy and Irkutsk consecrated the lower chapel of the church in honor of the Epiphany. Later, in 1785, Bishop Michael was consecrated and the upper. The temple received its name in honor of the icon of the Mother of God Hodegetria, which is the patroness of travelers and honest merchants, and it was not chosen by chance.
The fact is that St. Hodegetria Cathedral (St. Ulan-Ude) was favorably located, namely on the routes between the European part of the Russian Empire and the road to China. Thus, in the XVIII century the largest fair of Transbaikalia was formed there, so for construction, repair and other needs, money was generously allocated by merchants seeking to receive God's favor for their commercial enterprises. There were so many interested people that from the middle of the XIX century the names of the donors for the temple were recorded in the Clearing List.
Since 1818, the Odigitrievsky Cathedral has becomegradually to collapse, because in connection with frequent earthquakes, significant cracks began to form. Later, in 1862 and 1885, there were again strong shocks, worsening the situation, so the temple was constantly required repairs, which more or less regularly carried out for the money of benefactors.
In the second half of the XIX century, at the Cathedralcharitable organizations are opened. The oldest book in the library of the temple was the collection of prayers of 1700, which was printed in Moscow. At the same time, the church had a bell weighing just over 105 poods. The temple had many skillfully executed carved and gilded iconostases. By the end of the XIX century in the cathedral began to take classes in the parish school.
The history of the cathedral at the beginning of the last century
At the beginning of XX century in the possession of the cathedral was 4364square sazhen in Verkhneudinsk and even more than 50 acres in the suburbs. At that time, 1,833 men and 1,816 women belonged to the parish. When the First World War began, the parishioners of the Odigitrievsky Cathedral cared for the wounded.
With the advent of Soviet power, the life of believers is steephas changed. In 1929, the Odigitrievsky Cathedral (Ulan-Ude) ceased to exist in the form in which it was before. The building was confiscated and converted into storage rooms, and bells and crosses were removed. And in 1930 the last abbot of the church of Gabriel Makushev, who was Bishop of Pribaikalsk, communists shot.
After 7 years, the Holy Odigitrievsky Cathedral (Ulan-Ude) was turned into an Antireligious Museum. The purpose of creating the exposition was ridicule and discredit Orthodoxy on the wave of propaganda of atheism.
In the post-war years
After the Victory in the Second World War the building was transferredLocal History Museum of Buryatia, and in 1960 he was awarded the status of an object of historical heritage. This situation continued until the early 90's, when it was decided to transfer the Holy Hodigitrievsky Cathedral to the faithful. This long-awaited event occurred in 1992, when the church again became part of the RIC.
In the year 2001 major repairs of premises were made, and new bells were raised to the bell-tower, among which 100-poody "Tsesarevich" deserves special mention. Much work was done by masters of iconography under the leadership of Maxim Krasikov.
In general, the overall composition of the church is made in the architectural style of the Baroque. The components are lined up from west to east. The complex consists of:
- the temple;
- the bell tower.
All parts are merged into one continuous component,thus, a dense monolith is obtained. In the center of the building is a pillarless massif of the four-legged, which is covered by a vault, a high dome and a flashlight from two tiers. On the west side there is a belltower, which is made in the form of an octagon on a quadrangle. Each of the parts has a semicircular shape, organically combining with the neighboring one. Above a pair of square tiers there is an octagon, and each of its faces has arched notches. This gives the belltower a more beautiful and distinctive appearance, and at the top is an onion-shaped dome with a cross.
In the implementation of facades very well seena strong influence of baroque techniques, but it is clear that the temple also has the features of the classical Russian architectural style, which was the wooden church built in its place in 1700.
Smolensk icon of the Mother of God Hodegetria
Talking about the main cathedral of Ulan-Ude, it is impossible not tosay a few words about the shrine that gave it its name. It is believed that the Smolensk icon of the Mother of God Hodegetria was written by St. Luke. In Russia, she was supposedly in 1046, when the Byzantine emperor blessed his daughter Anna for her to become the wife of Prince Vsevolod Yaroslavovich. Since then, the icon has become a character of the tribal shrines of the upper classes and symbolize the proximity between Rus and Byzantium. Later, the holy image traveled from city to city more than once. At the end he was transported from Chernigov to Smolensk and was installed there in a newly-built church. After the occupation of the city by the Nazis, the icon was never found.
The Holy Odigitrievsky Cathedral is located at: Ulan-Ude, Lenin Street, 2. Thanks to the location of the church in the city center, it has excellent transport accessibility. True, you will not be able to reach the cathedral, since Lenin's street is pedestrian.
Odigitrievsky Cathedral Ulan-Ude: service schedule
The temple takes its parishioners daily. The Divine Liturgy begins at 8 am, and the evening service at 4 pm. On Sundays and twelve holidays the service takes place at 07:00 and at 09:30.
In the candle shop the rite of the sacrament is performedBaptism from 10 am to 10:30 am. Interviews are held from Wednesday to Friday at 6 pm. The icon shop serves every day from 07:00 to 20:00. You can also specify the required data by phone: + 7-301-222-08-31.
Now you know what is interesting about the main temple of Ulan-Ude, and you probably want to visit it if you find yourself in the capital of Buryatia.