Preparing greenhouses for the new season in spring. 4 important steps how to prepare a greenhouse for planting in the spring.
Experienced gardeners know that work on the garden begins long before the so-called opening of the summer season. Fans of fresh cucumbers and tomatoes, barely appear the first thawed patches, try to get to their garden at least on foot to “visit” the precious greenhouse and see if everything is in order with it, to make sure it is safe and sound after winter snowfalls. Preparing a greenhouse for a new season in spring is what worries summer residents. It is already possible to carry out the first preparatory actions - for example, throw snow into the greenhouse. And with the onset of heat, the greenhouse will need to be prepared for the first plantings.
How to prepare a greenhouse for planting in the spring
1. Spring cleaning in the greenhouse
First of all, the greenhouse must be tidied up.Remove the "remnants" of the past season - pegs, scraps of twine, etc. Remove the remnants of weeds and tomato - cucumber leaves from last year. Then you need to wash the greenhouse in the truest sense of the word. Dust and dirt obscure polycarbonate, and therefore deprive the plants of a sufficient amount of sunlight. Before this, you should definitely inspect the frame and the coating for integrity. If there is damage, they should be repaired, or the greenhouse should be repaired, replacing the damaged area.
Here are recommendations on how to wash a polycarbonate greenhouse in the spring in the country:
- Metal mesh, frame, various tools and garden tools are treated with solutions from rust. If you do not have the factory tools on hand, use a mixture of lemon juice and vinegar, a little soda, diluted in water, carbonated sugary drinks, cut the potatoes in half. Rust from brass will help remove the mixture from 100 ml of vinegar, a pinch of salt and flour. The resulting gruel rub the metal, and then rinse with water. Rust from aluminum parts is well cleaned with the help of Alka-Seltzer.
- If there is a heating system in your greenhouse, you will need to update the paint on the pipes.
- To get rid of dust and dirt will help the soap solution. After processing, you need to wash the entire frame with running water.
- Polycarbonate plates are washed with soap and water using a soft cotton towel. Outside, you can wash the soap with water, and inside it is better to remove it with a damp cloth. Soap should not fall into the fertile soil.
2. Treatment of greenhouses in the spring from diseases and pests
Preparation of the greenhouse for the new season in the spring must include disinfection. The main enemies of all garden plants are diseases and pests. Therefore, even before planting seedlings, you need to protect them as much as possible. Namely - to sanitize the greenhouse. How to do this is up to you. Some gardeners disinfect with sulfur checkers, although others do not approve of this method due to its toxicity and selectivity of action — it is not able to cope with all potential plant diseases. Others choose slaked lime for this purpose, which is used to process the walls, the ceiling and the frame of the greenhouse. Advanced gardeners prefer to process greenhouses in the spring from diseases and pests with modern preparations,such as Fitosporin and blue vitriol.
Phytosporin for processing greenhousesIn the spring of diseases and pests are used as follows:
- A quarter of the packaging diluted in 100 grams of water. Thoroughly dissolve, stirring means to avoid lumps.
- Then dilute 1 tablespoon of the solution in 10 liters of water.
- The resulting solution pour 2 square meters of soil.
- Sprinkle over the wet earth with dry soil and cover with foil.
- After a few days you can do the landing.
Greenhouse processing in blue vitriol
Disinfection of the greenhouse in the spring with the help of copper sulfate is carried out by many gardeners. This drug perfectly manifests itself from pathogens of powdery mildew, late blight, various rot, scab, curly and bacteriosis. Processing greenhouses from phytophtoras in spring using copper sulfate gives good results.
Prepare a ten percent solution of copper sulfate, and wipe the walls and roof of the greenhouse with it. The greenhouse is treated with copper sulfate in the spring before planting. This will help protect vegetables and herbs from various microorganisms and bacteria.
Disinfection of polycarbonate greenhouses in spring using traditional methods:
- Broth needles.Half a bucket of rammed pine branches are poured with boiling water and infused. You can boil for 20 minutes and cool - it will be faster.
- Nettle decoction.Half a bucket of dry nettle pour boiling water, let it brew, strain.
- Pine extract from the pharmacy- 200 grams. Dilute this medium in a bucket of cold water.
Wipe the polycarbonate sheets with any of these solutions. However, if your greenhouse is infected with fungal diseases, then these solutions will not help and you will need to use stronger means to treat the greenhouse in spring.
How to process greenhouse from phytophthora in spring.
From phytophthora, treatment with the following drugs will help you:
- Fitosporin-M, Radiance, Baikal EM- These are microbiological preparations that help to cope with the life cycle of a microorganism.
- A solution of garlic and water.40 grams of minced garlic pour a bucket of water and infuse for 24 hours. These solutions are sprayed with plants, washed with garden tools and greenhouse walls.
- Periodic pest control - steam room. This microorganism dies at temperatures above +30 degrees Celsius.Therefore, it is necessary to close the doors and windows in the greenhouse on a sunny day, and air well in the evening.
3. Soil preparation in the greenhouse in spring
Since every year the same plants grow in the greenhouse - as a rule, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants and greens, there is a big risk of soil "fatigue". It must be healed, enriched with nutrients. To do this, for example, you can replace the top layer of soil: remove 10 - 20 cm of soil and pour purchased soil for seedlings or a mixture of soil, river sand, peat, lime and humus personally prepared by yourself.
It is also possible to plant siderats in the greenhouse - plants that improve the structure of the soil, enriching it with nitrogen and fighting weeds. Excellent green manure for greenhouses - white mustard, vetch, rye, oats, fatselia, cress - lettuce. But such preparation of the greenhouse for the new season in spring is carried out before planting the seedlings, it is best to plant the green manure in August, when the crop is harvested. And then in the fall, dig green fertilizer into the soil.
4. How to heat the ground in the greenhouse in spring
After winter, you can warm the soil in a greenhouse in two ways - natural and artificial.
- With the natural method of heating the greenhouse in the spring, simply open all the windows and doors on a sunny day. The sun's rays will warm the air and the earth inside the greenhouse. Such a heating system is simple. That this method worked, it is necessary to establish the greenhouse correctly. The sun's rays should directly fall inside the room.
- In case of artificial heating, use technical methods: a special device “wind power”, an electric heating cable, infrared heaters, heating with the help of pipes, and various furnaces.