Warming of a balcony with polyfoam
To organize a comfortable and cozy place on your balcony or loggia, or attach them to the room, expanding the living space at their own expense, you need to think about the insulation of this almost street space.
In the market of materials for insulation now you can even get lost, choosing a specific material for your loggia. One of the most popular among all is still considered foam. About why you should give preference to this material, how to prepare the loggia for work and how to conduct the insulation of the balcony with foam plastic, will be discussed below.
Why choose foam?
In addition, the use of polystyrene is not the most difficult method, which allows the balcony to be insulated with polyfoam with its own hands, it also has significant advantages as a thermal insulation material:
- low weight and ease of use
- high thermal insulation properties
- sufficient resistance to moisture: does not swell, does not collapse from dampness and water (however, it is worth knowing that the foam can lose its insulating qualities under the influence of moisture),
- wear resistance of the material, which determines its durable use,
- no exposure to chemicals - acids, alkalis and saline solutions,
- ability to prevent the formation of mold,
- compatibility with any finishing and building materials,
- high noise reduction
- low price (one of the cheapest heaters with fairly good technical characteristics).
All these valuable characteristics of the material lead to the fact that the most popular method is considered to be the insulation of the balcony with foam plastic.
Preparing a loggia for work
Before insulating a balcony with foam plastic, it is worth preparing it for this process. The most important points are considered to be putting in order the whole structure of the loggia and its correct glazing.
First you need to rid the loggia of the old finish, dismantle the old frame and wooden flooring on the floor, if it was.Thus, it is necessary to bare the original design of the loggia. Then all brick and concrete surfaces are cleaned with a broom and a metal brush, and if necessary, a construction vacuum cleaner is used.
If cracks or failures are found in the concrete or brickwork, it is necessary to patch them with cement mortar.
If this is not done, insulation of the balcony with foam plastic will not make sense, since the danger of destruction of the base of the loggia or balcony remains. Immediately before insulating a balcony, it is worth treating all surfaces with an antiseptic to prevent the development of mold.
Then you should pay attention to where the heat from the living quarters most often goes - to the windows. To replace old worn windows or to install them on the place where there used to be an open balcony, you can use several options for windows:
- plastic windows (one of the most popular and less expensive options),
- aluminum windows (it is desirable to choose not the usual "cold" aluminum profile, but the profile where there is an insert between the metal panels for greater thermal insulation),
- Eurobar windows (a peculiar combination of the beauty of classic wooden windows and the technical capabilities of metal-plastic windows, however, their price is quite high).
In any case, when installing windows, it is necessary to pay attention to the fact that the structures are securely fastened to the ceiling of the loggia and at the railing. Otherwise, poor-quality installation of windows will negate all efforts to warm this space.
After this stage of preparation of the loggia, you can proceed directly to the insulation, and it is produced both outside the loggia and inside.
When insulating a loggia outside, you can give it a completely new look. Foam thickness from 5 to 10 cm is used for insulation. At the same time, first a special construction made of wooden slats is applied to the walls, which is fastened with self-tapping screws or using dowels. Later on, foam sheets are attached to these rails, and the seams are sealed with assembly foam. It is important that the assembly foam does not contain toluene, as it can destroy the foam. Outside, this whole structure can be made out of any facade finishing material.
Work on outdoor insulation does not imply self-fulfillment, as high-rise works can be carried out only by construction companies specializing in this.
Different ways of internal warming
If it is not only difficult, but also dangerous to insulate the balcony outside, especially on the upper floors, it is quite possible to insulate the balcony with your own hands from the inside.
There are two different ways to insulate a balcony with foam plastic:
In order to carry out the insulation of the balcony in this way, you need a special glue. They are treated with the surface to be insulated. Then install sheets of foam, which can additionally be fixed with screws.
Then on the foam itself is applied a layer of glue in 2-3 mm. While it is not dry, a glass fiber reinforcing mesh is fixed on the surface of the foam, and it should not be pressed into the adhesive layer. On top of it, you should also apply another layer of glue so that it appears to be sandwiched between two layers of glue.
When the glue is dry, you can begin to finish the interior surfaces of the balcony with plaster, putty and paint or other finishing materials.
This method is more complicated and takes longer because it involves the use of a larger number of different materials. This is determined, in particular, by the fact that under the action of moisture, the foam, like almost all other materials for insulation, loses its properties, so it is necessary to isolate it with the help of additional materials.
The “cake” scheme for balcony warming by this method is based on the creation of a frame construction (from wooden slats made independently or metal profiles) and consists of the following layers:
- All space between the slats should be closed waterproofing material. Most often used for waterproofing roofing material or pergamin. Attach these materials to the slats with metal brackets and a construction stapler.
- Then the foam is laid directly. Polyfoam sheets are cut under the distance between the slats. One of the conditions for proper warming is a 2-3 mm allowance, which will ensure a tight fit of the foam to the slats. Due to this, several problems are solved: the issue of attaching a heat-insulating material and the issue of the absence of gaps on the surface being treated.If the thickness is not enough to close the free space between the slats, then it is laid in several layers.
- Next, install a special film of polyethylene as a vapor barrier. It is quite simply mounted with a stapler directly to the slats. The film will prevent the penetration of moisture from the inside of the room.
Then start finishing, and for the use of wallpaper or paint, you must first put drywall, but you can use the wall paneling or panels for finishing right away, laying them on the existing frame.
The same method is often used to insulate the balcony floor, but the main features of this process are discussed below.
We warm the floor
Warming the floor of the balcony with foam can be done by any of the methods described above, but there are some nuances in working with the floor.
It is worth remembering that standard balconies are made at an angle to the street and a gap in the parapet where rainwater would flow. When the closed balcony is made, the slot and the slope are no longer needed. After all, on the closed balcony water from the street will no longer fall. Therefore, the floor should be made horizontal in level.
Most often, the insulation of the balcony floor of the foam occurs according to the following plan:
- Foil penofol is first placed on the floor slab to reflect heat, and it should be laid up with foil.
- Then, wooden bars (usually 40 by 40 mm in size) every 50 cm are fixed to the slab strictly at the level. The gaps that are formed between the sheets are filled with toluene-free installation foam.
- On top of the first layer is laid a second layer of timber, which is placed perpendicular to the first. This is done to create a kind of air cushion, enhancing the insulation, and to give the floor extra strength.
- Then, moisture-proof plywood is laid over the bar, and the floor is finished with laminate, linoleum, or other finishing material.
As you can see, if you thoroughly approach the issue of warming your own loggia or balcony, you can do all the work without much expense and the involvement of specialists and then start thinking about the design of your own loggia.