What does a butterfly look like?
Butterflies or Lepidoptera are a group of insects,which pass the full path of transformation. The most characteristic distinguishing feature, according to which butterflies are distinguished from other insects, are large bright wings, they have 2 pairs of butterflies. Consider what are the features of these amazing insects.
How butterflies of different species look
The body of the butterfly consists of the head, chest and abdomen. The head of the insects is rounded, on it are facetted eyes, antennae and a mouthpiece resembling a proboscis. How and what butterflies are eaten can be learned from our article - What do butterflies eat?
Despite the fact that butterflies have a fairly typical morphological structure of the body, some of the sub-species of butterflies are very different in size and color of the wings.
Distinctive features in the appearance of butterflies
Consider how butterflies look, most common in the middle band:
- Urticaria is a daytime insect species. The length of the front pair of wings is 23-25 mm. Wings of the wings are notched, sexual dimorphism is absent (females look like males).On the upper side of the wings are red or brick,they have black spots separated by yellowish gaps. In the upper part of the front wing there is a whitish spot. The outer edges are covered with spots of a bluish hue, reminiscent of a crescent moon;
- Machaon - day butterfly, the wingspan of females -up to 95 mm, and males - from 63 to 81 mm. The wings are painted bright yellow, bordered by black spots in the form of a pattern. On the hind wings there are outgrowths, which are called "tails"; they also have brown spots-eyes, surrounded by a bluish bloom;
- Cabbage - day small insect,the main color of the wings is white or milky. The size of the wings of females and males is approximately the same - from 49 to 63 mm. Wings are even, on the upper edge of the forelegs there are black borders, on the back - black dots on the upper edge. The females also have black paired points along the center of the fore wings;
- Peacock eye - medium-sized butterfly, upperedge of the wings is the main red color. They have 4 bluish-white spots ("eye"). The lower edge of the wings is brownish-black. Female larger than males, wingspan up to 62 mm;
- Danaid the monarch is an insect rather large, the wingspan is up to 10.2 cm. A distinctive feature is the network of black bands on the orange background of the wings, along the edge there are small whitish spots;
- Lemon (crab) - small (up to 31 mm swingwings) of a butterfly. By appearance they look like cabbages, only the color is bright-lemon. The females are white-green, with orange or red dots in the center of the wings;
- Brazhniki - a family of nocturnal lepidoptera, different in size (wingspan from 35 to 170 mm). Wings, both front and rear, are oblong, most often brown or gray.
For more information, for example, on the life span of butterflies, you can learn by reading our article - How many butterflies live.