Who are the Russians?
Watch the video
Russians are an East Slavic ethnos,inhabiting most of Russia. This is the indigenous people of Russia. The national language is Russian. Russian inherent in certain properties of character, appearance and features of culture, and they have a complex history of development. More about the concept of the Russian people read in the article The concept of "Russian people".
Who are Russians - character and culture
The Russian national character is very ambiguous,and to evaluate it is not easy. Surprisingly, the Russian person combines positive and negative character traits, as well as completely opposite to each other.
- Certainly, among the positive qualities there are kindness, responsiveness, willingness to help in the problem - it is not without reason that they speak about the breadth of the Russian soul.
- Russian people are peculiar to work. On the one hand, he is able to work, has high efficiency and endurance. And on the other - these traits are restrained by laziness, carelessness, slovenliness. The formation of such qualities was influenced by the vast territory occupied by the Russian people. People lived on the principle that there are a lot of land and natural resources, it means that everyone will have enough, and there is no need to work hard to preserve these riches.
- Another curious feature of the Russian people is his belief in the "good king".Russian people for the most part believed thattheir problems will be solved by a just king, it was he who wrote petitions. They preferred not to have business with officials, as well as with landowners - they behave incorrectly, from them all troubles, but the tsar will decide everything honestly. Belief in the head of state, the fact that he can put the country on a higher level, make it prosperous - remains in our time.
- Finally, Russian people are very hot indefending their ideas. They go to fire and water for the sake of an idea. So loud revolutions were made, communism was built, temples were rebuilt. The Russian people are able to defend what they sincerely and deeply believe.
- A Russian person does not have the abilityrationally calculate their actions, and this can adversely affect his life, cause economic turmoil. Of course, this is not common for every person of Russian nationality, but how a common trait can be traced. Some passivity, inactivity is also characteristic of the Russian people.
How was the Russian national character and culture formed? Here you can identify such important factors as:
- the geographical position of Rus;
- Russian nature;
- the way of life of a Russian person;
- the adoption of Christianity in the Byzantine version;
- mobilization type of state development.
Let us consider the influence of each factor in more detail.
The Russian state is vast and occupies a positionbetween European and Asian states. This led to a combination of elements of eastern and western civilization in the national culture of Rus. This binary character of the Russian character is described by V.O.Klyuchevsky in the "Brief History of Russia." He wrote that the geographical location of the country between the steppe and the forest had a significant influence on the formation of the character of the Russian people. Being in the forest, near rivers, people sought to approach, unite near the water source. So they brought up a spirit of cohesion, they learned to feel themselves as a part of society. And what did the steppe give to man? It symbolizes space, freedom, loneliness, wandering. Being on an endless plain prompts reflection and meditation. Under the influence of the steppe, such qualities as modesty, spiritual softness, a tendency to melancholy, "withdrawal into oneself," asceticism, and isolated life developed in people. Such seemingly incompatible qualities successfully combines Russian culture.
The influence of nature can also explain the fact thatRussian people began to refer to the nationality as an adjective. This implies that a person does not belong simply to an individual people, but to Russia, to the Russian land. That is, the connection with the land, native places is extremely important for a person of a given nationality - and has always been important.
Adoption of Christianity
The adoption of Christianity in the Byzantine variant entailed a certain isolation of Russia from the Western states. She had her own way of development, thatand culture. Also, the church educated people in the spirit of unity, rallying people in difficult times.
Mobilization development of the state
The mobilization development of the state isThe use of human resources to the maximum for solving various state problems. At the same time there is a discrepancy between the scope of tasks for internal resources. This can explain the emergence of dislike of the Russian people to the government and, at the same time, the willingness to tolerate it and, if necessary, stand up for the defense of its state.
All these factors determined the character of the Russianrights. It combines incongruous - hard work and laziness, openness and unsociability, hospitality and a propensity for isolation, loneliness. And Russian culture is also characterized by such a duality.
Anthropological features include external and genetic indicators. Russianin this respect they are similar to Europeans. Signs that distinguish them from Europeans:
- Light shades of skin and hair prevail, darker shades.
- Eyebrows, beard grow at a lower speed.
- Superciliary is less pronounced, as is the inclination of the forehead.
- The medium-haired transference, the face profile is moderately wide, in the horizontal profile - the middle one predominates.
For the Russian people epicanthus is not characteristic - a fold near the eye, which is noticeable in Mongoloids.
Ethnic history of the Russian people
How did the Russian people originate? It was formed from the East Slavic tribes and flocked from the Dnieper region of the settler peoples. We entered the Russian people and Finno-Ugric tribes. In the 12th century, as a result of the merger of tribes, the Old Russian people formed. However, later it broke up into three separate peoples - Russians, Ukrainians and Byelorussians.
The Russian people were strongly influenced by EpiphanyRussia, organized by Prince Vladimir in 988. This event was the reason for the emergence of their own calendar and church holidays of Russians, original writing, certain types of national art - iconography or architecture.
Significant influence on the Russian people hadinvasion of the Mongol-Tatars. Rus took upon itself the burden of yoke, which severely threw it back - about a century ago - in the development of culture and industry in comparison with Europe.