Why does his leg cramp at night?
Involuntary contraction of one or group of muscleshas received the name of a cramp. The most common cramp calf muscle. For some reason, the muscle suddenly spasms, a person feels severe pain and wakes up. The night cramp of the gastrocnemius muscle can immediately go away if the foot is massaged or stand on tiptoes, but in some cases the leg is pulled so hard that it is very difficult to help.
Causes of cramps
Those who have come across this phenomenon are probably wondering why the legs are cramping at night. In fact, there are several reasons for this. The most common reasons are:
- the lack of vitamins and minerals in the body, in particular magnesium, is, by the way, the most common cause of nocturnal cramps;
- pregnancy, convulsions occur in the early stages, when the woman still does not even suspect about her new position, and on the later;
- taking certain medicines;
- excessive physical exertion;
- alcohol abuse and tobacco smoking.
As a preventive measure, try to eat right and balanced, observe moderation in exercise and consume less sugar and coffee.
Read more about the causes of seizures can be found in our article. Why it reduces legs. Find out what to do with cramps you can from the article Shakes legs, what to do.